APPENDIX: DEVELOPMENTAL ASSETS GUIDE FOR YOUTH JUSTICE COMMITTEES
Here are some useful indicators and questions that you can use while working with young people too illustrate whether or not they may have the Developmental Assets.
- Does the young person experience high levels of love and support from his/her parents?
- Is there open and positive communication between the young person and his/her family?
- Does the young person know what is expected of him/her (rules)? Does he/she know what the consequences are for breaking these rules?
- Does the young person feel safe at home?
- Does the young person have other adult relationships?
- Does the young person view school as a caring and encouraging environment?
- Does the young person feel attached to school i.e. school pride, involvement in activities?
- Does the young person have good interpersonal skills (e.g. empathy, sensitivity, friendship skills)?
- Does the young person know what behaviour is expected (formal and informal rules) at school?
- Does the young person know what to expect if these rules are broken?
Social and emotional
- Does the young person value helping others?
- Is the young person aware of social injustice in his/her community i.e. homelessness, poverty? Is he/she interested in addressing these issues?
- Does the young person have a standard of behaviours that he/she sticks to regardless of others?
- Does the young person take responsibility for his/her actions?
- Does the young person exercise restraint in regards to sex/drugs/alcohol etc?
- Does the young person exercise good decision making and planning strategies?
- Is the young person aware of/comfortable with others from different cultural/ethnic/racial groups?
- Does the young person exercise impulse control and conflict resolution?
Positive Identity/Personal Power
- Does the young person believe that he/she has control over things that happen in his/her life?
- Does the young person have a high self-esteem?
- Does the young person believe that his/her life has a purpose?
- Is the young person optimistic about his/her future?